Wednesday, June 15, 2016

Why Moffat Needs To Stop It

Let me get this out of the way right off the bat. I like Doctor Who. A lot. I like the 2005- present revival of the show. A lot. But I dislike Steven Moffat. A lot.

Don't get me wrong, when it comes to things like casting, he's great. Matt Smith and Peter Capaldi have both made great Doctors (In fact, Matt Smith is my favorite Doctor), and Amy and Rory are easily my favorite companions. I even liked Clara... At first. But then Moffat just had to go and ruin it.

You see, Clara started out as a bit of a level headed but somewhat feisty counterpart to the 11th Doctor, and back then she was a fun character. Maybe not quite as well developed as Amy and Rory had been, but it was early on in her run, so that was to be expected. In any case, she was definitely better than River Song by a long shot. (Shudders violently.)

But then, after Matt Smith left and Peter Capaldi replaced him, things changed. Clara became whinier, bossier, more of a control freak, and just generally a much less likable character. Peter Capaldi's great acting makes up for it a little, but not enough to save the newer episodes, especially since the show focused so much on Clara that the new Doctor barely got any development. And don't even get me started an how they brought She That Must Not Be Named River Song back.

So yeah, overall, the newer episodes of Doctor Who just haven't really impressed me, and I honestly don't have very high hopes for Season 10. I hope I'm wrong. I desperately want to like Doctor Who again. But if things keep going the way they are, I won't get my hopes up.

No comments:

Post a Comment